Friday, October 21, 2011

Occupy Hollywood!


What attracted me to this article you all ask? Oh, well, that is, uh, perhaps the large picture of Johnny Depp right under the title. I love Johnny Depp. I am a Johnny Depp junkie. Pirates? Awesome, except for the fourth one, which was indeed pushing it. What's Eating Gilbert Grape? I bet you have never heard of it, but it's something you should see. Nightmare on Elm Street? Yes, he was in that. I think he was actually Freddy's first victim. And I am anxiously awaiting my chance to go see the Rum Diary. Also, the dude was Jack Kahuna Laguna in Spongebob. I can't hate him after that one, even if he is a overpaid movie actor who is very much apart of the 1%. This article was not about Johnny Depp specifically, but rather how the movie industry also needs reform. I think that makes sense, but honestly we as citizens chose to go spend our money on those type of things. I think that's different then needing to use a bank to hold all your money in or big corporations with a huge wealth distribution problem. Johnny Depp and most Hollywood actors, and sports players are all over payed. But isn't Hollywood all about being over the top and extravagance?

The author aimed this article at everyone reading anything about the real OWS. There is some logos in there, with many statistics stating exactly how much people are over payed in Hollywood. To support this hypothetical boycott, the author implies some serious pathos by saying “If we put the price of a movie ticket toward helping someone in need? You can text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10, right from your phone. What if we gave that ticket price to Donors Choose, to help a school fund a dream project or get needed supplies? What if, instead of spending an hour watching “NCIS,” for which Mark Harmon will earn $13 million this year, we spent that hour working with the local outpost of Habitant for Humanity?” This makes a lot of sense to me, but will that stop me from dragging my sister along to see The Rum Diary this weekend? Sorry, but no way.

The article:


No comments:

Post a Comment