Sunday, October 9, 2011

Jones is Jonesing


This article was of particular fascination to me. The Jim Jones murders/mass suicides have always been interesting to me, as with any sort of cult like society. I find psychology extremely intriguing, and I can easily see myself becoming a psychiatrist someday. This article provided me with a lot of information I did not know about the People's Temple and their leader. For example, I thought Jones was always crazy and wanted to lead a cult, but according to this article, Jones took a drug train ride that helped him get to Crazyville. Another thing that stuck out to me- “They would become the largest number of American civilians to die in a single, non-natural disaster until 9/11, yet Jonestown is less well-known than, say, the Manson Family murders to many people born since 1980”. I agree with the latter half of that statement and the former was new, somber information to me. Why is this so little remembered in our times?

The author recognized with her statement about Jonestown being “less well-known” by presenting a background information on the People's Temple and Jim Jones himself. The author was clearly writing for a very general audience. The article was unbiased and informative (the article was actually written in relation to a book about Jonestown) until the author took a stance on the topic in her final paragraph saying “It all began back when Jim Jones told himself that for the sake of social justice, it would be OK to fake a few “miracles.” Each new act of deception or bullying simply amplified that leeway a little more, infecting the whole community. For Jones, the power to do good mutated into power for its own sake. Jonestown is the darkest reminder of how, when the ends are allowed to justify the means, the means become an end in themselves.” I think she has a very valid point there.

The article:



No comments:

Post a Comment