Thursday, October 6, 2011

Finishing School Journal Entry

The most useless thing I've ever learned is anything beyond the basic fundamentals of Algebra I, and bits of Algebra II. And everything I've learned in Pre-Calculus thus far has made me think many times a day "What's the point of this?" I mean, if you're planning on being a mathematician, then by all means you should definitely be learning it all. But I have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything during my life that would involve such complicated and unpleasant equations. So why, dare I ask, must I learn it? So I sit every day 6th period learning about minutes and degrees and seconds and radians and degrees and wasting my time when I could be doing something more productive. Perhaps sleeping, for I consider that a better use of my time. In Europe, the upper schools have students focus on areas that they plan on using in their careers after they graduate. I don't see why we shouldn't adopt this system as well. It would better plan people for college and help them finish it earlier. And then I wouldn't have to do math anymore. Everyone wins!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I feel the same, especially with math. I mean, if I want to be a pharmacist, math might be important. But still... I don't need to be learning about radians and stuff. I really wish we did something like Europe with focusing on subjects important for your career. Like really. In college too. I know Brown doesn't require you to take a certain class like freshman math and English and stuff. They let you take whatever you'd like. I wish schools were more like that. But I definitely think the basic math stuff is good to know.

    ReplyDelete