Thursday, September 22, 2011

Are Today's Youth Really a Lost Generation?

    This article caught my eye because I am a part of today's youth and I was hoping that I was not thought of as lost by another person. But from further reading of the story, it became clear that the author was making a reference to the Lost Generation that came out of the Great Depression during the 1920's. I think the parallels between the two generations are sort of uncanny. I also completely agree with the author that there is not many ways a person in today's society can do anything significant with their lives without a higher education. Education is of great value to a person in Generations X, Y, and the Millennials.

   The author uses a lot of statistics to get their point across, that is that, education pays off more than anything else you can do to make quick money. There's even a lovely chart entitled "College Compared to Alternative Investments" at the end of the story. He also gives out neat and inarguable percentages like "The number of young Americans living with their parents, nearly 6 million, has increased by 25 percent in the last three years" to prove his point about how education is important. The author gets their point across clearly and "conclude[s] [the] column about poverty and income with a "stay in school" mantra", and it hopefully convinced people to listen to that same mantra.

The article: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/are-todays-youth-really-a-lost-generation/245524/

6 comments:

  1. From what I've seen, the reason today's youth is failing is because they don't apply themselves properly, myself included. It is our decision, and who has the right to judge that? Am I worse than my parents and grandparents because I choose to focus on music primarily instead of school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I removed the comment above because I was showing someone how to comment.

    Anyways. My thoughts: Definitely stay in school. But actually try and get something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. by staying in school, you realize you strengths and weaknesses which will be so valuable for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm glad people don't think you're lost. That sure would be troublesome.

    ReplyDelete