Monday, February 6, 2012

When I Learned to scrape By

This article was more like a journal entry than an actual article, but it was effective. It was about a woman who was unemployed and scraping up change from the streets just to eat. Which is really, really sad. America is obviously in a terrible recession, and it isn't anyone in particulars fault, but I am starting to think that someone should attempt to do something about this issue. Just maybe. It makes me worry that this will be me when I graduate college, fresh out of school and in debt. But hopefully eight or more years from now this recession will perhaps be more optimistic looking, or better yet, over with. This recession is probably the biggest issue facing our country right now. I have not personally seen a lot being done, and I just cannot fathom why. 
This article had so much pathos. You cannot help but feeling bad for the narrator and all her friends. "I think about Javier, his cough. He’s worked at the gas station for 15 years. Last month the company decided to cut his hours. Working part-time means he’s no longer eligible for benefits." That is terrible and awful. I cannot even imagine what my family would do if that happened. The worst part about it though is that Javier probably did not do a thing to deserve it. The money just was not there for the station to pay him. I wish that the narrative had given a little more background on how the author ended up in this predicament. It felt kind of empty and abrupt when it ended, because there was not really a conclusion. Hopefully the author gives an update someday. 


The article.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is very sad. I hope the author does update on this issue because I would like to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not like I just blogged about this article or anything...

    ReplyDelete