Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bless Me, Ultima: Chapters 13-16

This book and I are in an abusive relationship. One minute it's really great, and I want to read and never stop. The next minute I want to fall asleep because I'm in tears with boredom as it drags on infinitely, and I won't even mention that issue of some random language Anaya created and spontaneously threw in the text. Regardless, this set of chapters had my favourite passage of the whole book so far, and it will most likely remain this way. I loved the little play that Tony and his misfit, rowdy friends put on for the rest of the school. It was such a sassy mess, and I laughed at the poor teacher for how much of a joke her life is. It was like a nice little bonus from Anaya, as if he was saying, "Hey I can be fun and light-hearted in my writings about a small boy and his mess of a life." Then ten pages later Tony finds his brother in an awkward position and he witnesses death number two. Rudolfo Anaya, you are such a tease. The only humor in this book at all is with Tony's little gang. I love them all, especially Lloyd, who obviously going to grow up and sue everyone like all good Americans do.

But, sadly, the more meaningful parts to this book are also the ones that made me so tired. Tony's little dreams where he talks to God hold most of the books meaning. Personal moral conflict is turning out to be the name of the game in this story. The book started out with Tony's wondering if he was going to follow his mother or father's wishes, now it's becoming slowly more about his religious and moral beliefs. The most signifigant one is on pages 172-176, but one thing that really struck me was this "'You foolish boy, God roared, don't you see that you are caught in your own trap! You would have a God who forgives all, but when it comes to your personal whims you seek punishment for your vengeance..." (Anaya 173) What is Anaya trying to say about Tony here, and about religion in general. Is vengeance a basic human characteristic, if even a young and gentle child can feel it? Tony wants Narciso to be saved, but he wants Tenorio to burn for all eternity, and what does that really say about him. Does that make Tony hypocritical, or is he just basing this off of what the people in questions did wrong from his perspective? After all, both men only did what they thought was the right thing. If Tony wants vengeance on Tenorio for killing Narciso, why is Tenorio so wrong in wanting vengeance on who he thinks is his child's murderer? I feel bad for Tenorio. Dead kid, another one who is probably going to die and he's blinded in one eye. That is rough. I don't really know where this story is going, but all I want at this point is for Anaya to tie up all the loose ends.

1 comment: